Are You Raising a Mentally STRONG Kid?
We all want our children to be Mentally STRONG. We want them to be able to handle whatever life throws their way with grace, poise, and strength. But how can we as parents help them develop those qualities? Dr. Cristi Bundukamara is here to help. Using the Mentally STRONG Method, she discusses five methods parents can use to raise Mentally STRONG kids. Let’s take a look at each method in turn.
These are just a few tips that can help you nurture your child’s mental health.
1. Talk about feelings: It’s essential for children to understand that it’s okay to have a range of feelings and that it’s normal to feel sad, mad, frustrated, or happy. By talking about emotions openly, you can help your child label and process their feelings. This will enable them to cope better with difficult emotions in the future.
2. Encourage them to express themselves: One-way children can learn to cope with strong emotions is by expressing themselves through art, writing, or movement. When they have an outlet for their feelings, they’ll be less likely to internalize their emotions and become overwhelmed by them.
3. Help them problem-solve: Another way you can help your child develop mental strength is by teaching them how to problem-solve. When faced with a challenge, encourage them to devise a few possible solutions. This will help them feel more empowered and capable of handling difficult situations in the future.
4. Teach them relaxation techniques: It’s also helpful to teach your child some relaxation techniques that they can use when they’re feeling overwhelmed by strong emotions. Deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, and visualization are all great tools for managing stress and anxiety.
5. Be a role model: Parents must be good role models for their children in managing emotions. If you can cope with your emotions healthily, your child will be more likely to do the same.
If you want to raise a Mentally STRONG child, start by taking care of yourself. Be emotionally healthy and set boundaries for yourself. Be a role model for your child and show them how to handle stress and adversity. Follow Dr. B’s tips, and you’ll be raising a Mentally STRONG kid in no time!